- 10 ea. Roasted red pueblo chiles, stems and seeds removed, cut into strips
- 1 pt. water
- 240g sugar
- 105g glucose syrup (can substitute corn syrup)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Simmer the chile strips, water, sugar, and glucose for 20 minutes.
- Pull the chile strips out of pot, and place on cooling rack that is placed on top of a baking sheet tray. Let dry overnight, or longer, until dry and slightly crystalized.
- Toss with powdered sugar in a bowl. Shake off excess powdered sugar, and enjoy.
This is a neat way to utilize the sweet, ripened red chiles in an unusual way. These candied chiles are good on their own, but even better atop Green Chile Ice cream, or add some zing to your granola trail mix. This recipe also produces an incredible byproduct- Red Chile-infused simple syrup! Save this in your refrigerator and use for cocktails, lemonade, chocolate cake, even an ice cream topping!
Pueblo Community College Culinary Arts Department Chile Academy Pueblo Chile Festival 2019