- 1 lb. Red Garnet Yams, peeled and diced into large chunks
- 1 each Small to medium yellow onion, sliced
- ½ lb. Farm fresh tomatoes, quartered
- 4 each Cloves of Garlic, smashed
- 1 stick Butter, cut into cubes
- 1 Tbsp. Cumin Powder
- 2 Tbsp. Pueblo Red Chile Powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the yams, onion, tomatoes, garlic, and Red Chile Powder in the sauce pot. Cover with water and bring to a simmer on medium high heat. Simmer, partially covered, until yams are completely tender.
- Using the stick blender, puree. If using a pitcher-style blender, puree ingredients in the blender. Season with Salt and pepper.
- With the blender on medium, add the butter one cube at a time, until fully incorporated. Serve immediately.
This Yam puree is a break from the sweet marshmallow yams we traditionally see on the table. The best way to serve this is like mashed potatoes, next to a Green Chile-Rubbed Tenderloin. It’s rich with butter, but has a spicy kick similar to enchilada sauce.
Pueblo Community College Culinary Arts Department Chile Academy Pueblo Chile & Frijoles Festival 2019